Too often, every year, the joyous Holiday Season can become a setting of nightmares and death. In the wee hours of the morning, on January 19, 2015, the world became a much darker place when I lost my invincible brother, Don, my ingenious sister-in-law, Sandy, and their four adorable and vivacious grandchildren, Lexi, Charlotte, Katie and Wes to a Christmas tree fire that was too fast, too furious, and too toxic to escape.
Although the smart home was alarmed with state of the art smoke alarms, which immediately called the fire department, no one survived. The home was not protected with fire sprinklers. The tree caught fire from a faulty electrical power strip, which connected to the lights, and caused flashover to occur in less than three minutes. No one survives flashover. It is the point at which the heat at the ceiling and floor become equal and everything in the room ignites and bursts into flames. If it could happen to them, people who were fit and had all of the state of the art technology to save them, except home fire sprinklers, it could happen to you.
Join us and help prevent Christmas tree fires this year, and the immense sorrow and loss of life which is avoidable.
Please spread our Holiday Safety flier to places where local live trees are sold in your communities. Help me educate families on Christmas tree care. Click here to download the Holiday Safety Flier.
Don’s friends and associates always had a mantra, “Do It For Don.” I say let’s do it for Don, Sandy, and the kids! Honor their memory with me by watering your tree daily, unplugging it overnight and when unattended, and disposing of it immediately after New Year’s Day.
Distribute and follow the instructions on the fliers. Keep your family and your community safe this Holiday Season!
From my family to yours, have a Merry Christmas!